Mind, Body, and Soul
1. Pray every morning and night. Meditate throughout the day. Short frequent prayers/meditation will prevent sleeping instead of praying. Data suggest that prayer and meditation improve one's quality of life. If there are dependents or children in the household, everyone should pray together at least once daily. This will improve obedience from children and a sense of unity for all.
2. Read an inspirational book for 15 to 20 minutes daily. It is better to read with a group of people so that each reader can learn from the other after a short discussion. With whom will you read? Spouse? Friends? Family? If you don't have anyone in your house, you can join a church. Often, there will be groups formed for reading. is a perfect example.
3. Brush your teeth and floss after each meal. Carry a toothbrush and floss so that you can comply with this when you are away from the comfort of your home. Maintain daily hygiene. If you look good, you will feel even better.
4. Drink 64 to 128oz of water daily. Only drink water substitutes if you exercise longer than 45 minutes.
5. Exercise every day. Mix it up so that you don't get bored. Do cardio for 1 hour three times a week, and for 30 minutes 2 other times a week. Do resistance training (or lifting weights) for 30 minutes 3 to 5 times a week. If you schedule the exercise daily, you will be more likely to actually do it 4 to 5 times a week.
6. Eat at least 2 servings of green leafy vegetables daily, and one fruit daily. Only eat one carb per meal. See to learn how to eat better.
7. Say something nice and do something nice for someone daily. Empathy and service for others may improve self worth.
8. Learn to change your perspective about life. If something causes stress, cut it out. Simplify your life. Your own expectations may cause anxiety, stress, and depression.
9. Enjoy the simple things that surround you like the smell of rain, fresh air in the morning, sunrise, sunset, and the serenity that nature brings. Also, don't forget to enjoy the people around you. The experience of laughing children, opinionated siblings, or repeated stories from your parents will always outweigh a memory, picture, or any form of media.
10. Do not watch TV, movies, or play video games during the week. You will have more time to read, spend time with your family, and sleep.
11. Eat at least one meal daily with all of the members in the house. This will build a sense of unity.
12. Learn how to relax without alcohol, smoking, or TV. Other ways to relax include tai chi, yoga, exercise, walking, talking, laughing, reading, singing, playing an instrument, or simply using your talents.
13. Plan your entire week on Sunday, and review your plan the night before each day. Proper preparation prevents poor performance in every facet of your life. Set realistic goals. This will reduce the incidence of convenience eating and shopping, which leads to fast food and shopping without bargains.
14. Live within your means and serve others. There is enough stress in life without financial problems. If you have debt, pay it off as soon as possible by cutting things out of your life. The freedom of having no debt (outside of student loans with low interest rates) is priceless. There is a plethora of opportunities to volunteer and help the community. Find one that you enjoy. Altruism may improve your self worth.
15. Sleep, sleep, sleep. Sleep at least 7 consecutive hours each night. If you don't think you can fit it in, then you may benefit from a change in your perspective of life. Cut something out and do less. You need the sleep. Exercising, eating healthy, simplifying your life, learning how to relax, reading, and praying will help you fall asleep and stay asleep.
Dr. Scott Mimms, M.D