10 Tips on How to Lose 10 lbs and More!
1. Weigh yourself every morning, but don’t get lost in the numbers. It is better to lose 1lb a week consistently than to lose 6lbs in 4 days only to regain the weight and more.
2. Think of water like a necessary daily medication. Drink 16 oz of water 1hr before and after each meal. So, drink 64oz to 128oz of water daily. If you must drink juices, sodas, or diet drinks, only drink 2 to 3oz (just enough to taste during meals only). Sports drinks water substitutes are only needed when you exercise longer than 45 minutes. Sobe Water is a great substitute and is preferred over juices, sodas, and diet drinks.
3. Pay attention to what you eat. Read labels. Count daily calories. Avoid high fructose cornstarch, sugar substitutes, and diet drinks.
4. Eat 3 to 4 small meals daily. Always eat a breakfast high in protein, but low in carbs and fat, even if it is just a high protein granola bar. The largest meal of the day should be lunch, although for convenience with busy schedules, either lunch or dinner may be substituted with a meal replacement (ie protein shake) to avoid convenience eating (fast food).
5. Eat foods like Greek yogurt, oatmeal, half yolk eggs, high protein granola bars, cereals high in fiber, peanuts, beans, spinach salads, berries, string cheese, pan-seared or baked fish, chicken, turkey, lean beef (filet mignon), and bison, on a regular basis.
6. Do not eat more than 8 oz in one sitting. Never eat more than one carb per meal. Use vegetables like greens, broccoli, green beans, spinach, and cabbage to fill up. Eat the veggies first.
7. Do not eat within 3 hours before bedtime. If you eat dessert, limit yourself to the equivalent of 1/16 of a pie, and eat it during lunch.
8. Sleep at least 7 consecutive hours daily.
9. Schedule at least 15min of exercise every day until you have the endurance to exercise longer. The goal is to do an hour of cardio and 30 minutes of resistance training daily. Join a fitness center.
10. Only reward yourself with fatty foods like fried chicken, burgers, fries, pizza, fast food, ice cream, fried fish, chocolate, candy, chips (salty snacks), shakes, tacos, lobster, crab, shrimp, Asian and Mexican cuisine twice a month. And, only reward yourself with 2 foods high in carbs per meal like beer, white wine, cocktails, bread, donuts, bagels, pancakes (etc.), pasta, rice, sweet fruit, corn, peas, carrots, potatoes, crackers, and cereal twice a month. You can eat carbs, but they have to be balanced with the appropriate amount of protein.
Eat Better! Live Healthy!
Dr. Scott Mimms, M.D